With our doula business getting more and more active. Karla (my doula partner) and I have been discussing our goals for the future.  It's so exciting to plan and talk about what we would like to offer as far as services go.  This is the first time in my life where I have a genuine amount of excitement for a business venture.  Maybe I have found my calling?  I don't know.  BUT- I am liking every step of the way!  

I have had so many thoughts concerning childbirth and the beginning journey into motherhood.  I remember feeling so empowered and strong, even though I didn't exactly have the birthing experience that I wanted (to be honest, I really didn't know what I wanted until after it was over), becoming a mother felt so seamless.  I am blessed with an amazing husband that supports me, and I have a long list of strong mentors in my life that have helped me become a woman, and have only encouraged me to build self esteem long before I became pregnant.  I believe that was a huge part of my seemingly seamless transition.  (there were bad days, don't get me wrong...and I still have them)  I hear of so many women that have the opposite experience, and all the feelings where almost unbearable for them.  While I know for certain that everyone will have their own unique story to tell, I have this huge desire to be of service where I can.  I want women to feel empowered, heard, loved, and most of all, supported no matter what kind of birth they end up having.  I think those things are so important during- what I believe is- the most powerful change that will ever happen in our lives as women.  How can we switch it around so we aren't overcome by guilt, sadness, fear, but more joy, happiness and hopefulness during this transition into motherhood?   How can I be of service to help another new mom feel like "she's got this"?  Maybe I have it all wrong, but these are just a few things that I have been thinking about as I gear up to support my clients through their labors and deliveries.  Being a part of this community of doulas has been so eye opening and ground breaking for me already...I am so grateful I am present for it all.

Now I will talk about sewing- 

I recently discovered a pattern that I am dying to try out.  Its for a pencil skirt.  It's actually for the most perfect skirt I have ever seen.  I bought it here, and I printed it out, but I am so intimidated, and I feel a bit overwhelmed by it.  It's fun for me to makeshift my own patterns and put things together in my own sloppy way, considering I have zero formal training in the art of sewing and designing.  I think I need to use a few more easy patterns first before I get down to business on this particular one.  

I found a cute shirt pattern for Bam here.  It seems simple enough to do, and hello!   Super cute with those little flutter sleeves!  

I will keep you posted!

xoxo.bree


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!